Peace

What more could you ask for?

I'm sitting in my kitchen listening to the sounds of the wind rustle the trees in my backyard and the waves crash onto the beach. Today was a really good day.

Andy was home from his trip to Barcelona and it was a great experience.  The girls were finishing homework and chatting and laughing together. We had great conversations over dinner with a good friend. Oh, and the Tunisian people got a chance to say what they want their future to look like.

That's a big sentence to write, to determine your future.....For some people it was the first time that they have EVER had the chance to vote. I'm not talking about young adults, these are people in the 50's and 60's casting their ballot, letting their voice be heard for the first time.

Inked stained fingers of some of our staff who voted

Coming from the West I have very little understanding of the literal blood, sweat, and tears that went into today.  I take for granted that there will be a fairly peaceful process leading up to our election day. I take for granted that there will be a peaceful change over of administrations. I don't fear for violent protests or military crack downs when we vote in a new president.

Today was a really good day.  I reflected on how fortunate I was to grow up where I did, to have the freedoms that I have, to be able to set the course for my own future. And I also marveled at the Tunisian people, how proud they are, how deeply they understand that the world is watching them, the responsibility  they bear for the region as they pave the way.

We have heard over and over again from the beginning of the Arab Spring, that if any country can bring about democracy in the Arab world, Tunisia can.

The days and weeks to come are the real test, how will the people react to the party that is declared the "winner", today we have just reached the starting line, tomorrow begins the hard work.

Some of the staff at ACST showing off that they voted!

If today is any indication as to how things will proceed, I'm pretty sure that Tunisia will pull this off.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS