My Day Thus Far.......

Here is how my day started.
4:15 am, pushing the bounds of my "morning personhood", the call to prayer sounds. The speaker is directly across from our bedroom window. I think I can drift back to sleep.
4:45 am, a pack of neighborhood stray dogs begin howling at the rising sun, joining in chorus to a random rooster, and other birds.
Since the world is waking up around me I may as well get up.
I turn on my laptop, make coffee, consider what I might make for breakfast for the sleepover girls.
Sip coffee, look at Facebook, throw together a dough to make cinnamon rolls.
5:45 am, some sort of alarm I have never heard starts sounding from an upstairs bedroom. It is not unlike the sound of police sirens at full volume.
The sleeping teens, including the owner of the blaring alarm, do not stir from the downstairs guest room.
I run upstairs and find someone's Blackberry phone ringing away to the morning alarm.
I try to turn it off but only manage to hit the snooze. Hmmm, how to turn off the alarm. I am not at all familiar with Blackberrys.
Ah, that must be the volume button, that can buy me some time until I figure this out. Oops, nope not the volume, I may have just changed some settings. Shoot.
The alarm sounds again. I hit a button and accidentally call someone named Tinta. Tinta isn't happy. At least I think she isn't happy. I can't tell because she doesn't speak english.
I hit another button and end the call. I think. Phew.
Okay, what is that button.......Oh good Lord. I accidentally take several pictures of the floor and closet. I also may have possibly taken a video which I really hope doesn't have sound.
I may have said some unkind words about the phone.
The alarm sounds again. I have figured out the snooze function and hit it.
I google how to turn off the alarm. That doesn't work.
I google how to turn off the DAMN phone.
The alarm goes off again, this time the sound is a little muffled because it is at the bottom of the laundry basket. Snooze is hit again.
It is now 6:30. I consider backing over the phone in the driveway.
Instead, I wake up the sleeping girl, which I should have done 45 minutes ago, and have her turn off her phone.
Good morning.

Brown Sugar Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
adapted from the Pioneer Woman
For the dough:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 package yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling:
1 cup butter melted
1 cup dark brown sugar lightly packed
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup butter at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract

To make the dough: Over medium high heat warm the milk, butter, and sugar. Just warm it through, don't let it simmer. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or large mixing bowl, stir together the yeast, flours, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the milk mixture and with a dough hook blend until a soft dough forms, or using a wooden spoon stir the dough until it comes together. Spritz the dough with a little oil, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour.
While the dough rises make the filling and frosting.
For the filling: Stir together the butter, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
For the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. On low speed add the powdered sugar and beat until well combined. Add the extracts and combine. Set aside.
To assemble: Turn out the risen dough onto a floured surface. Knead to bring the dough together. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the filing mixture over the surface and roll up. Pinch the seam closed and slice into 12 equal rolls.
Place in a 15X10 inch baking pan (you can use a 9X13 but it will be crowded), lined with parchment paper. Cover with a towel and let rise again for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375. Bake the rolls for 15-18 minutes. Immediately after removing from the oven spread the rolls with 1/3 of the frosting. Let cool for 15 minutes and frost with remaining frosting before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment