The Road to.....

Hell is paved with good intentions.
That's what my Mom told me once. I tend to think it may occasionally be true. It was this past week at least.

My week didn't actually go to hell. I had things I intended to write about, recipes that I have come to really like and wanted to share but then life happened, and friends came to visit, and no pictures were taken (how could I not take pictures of these people and the fun we had) and time just got away from me, (and clearly punctuation has gotten away from me) and the things I wanted to share with you were neatly spooned into storage containers and zip top bags and set in the refrigerator to make someone a happy lunch this week.....


It was an oddly quiet week and for some reason, even though I had great plans and plenty of time, I just couldn't get around to writing, or more precisely, I couldn't find the words to say what I wanted to say. Half our family was gone for a soccer tournament in Spain (I know. We don't feel bad for them) leaving the other half a little lost as to how to spend our time. The house was just too big, and while there was warmth and laughter (Morgan and I do know how to have a good time together) we just missed sharing life with the rest of our little tribe. Thankfully the weekend came and with that friends. Thank goodness for friends.

There were sleepovers, and giggly girls wanting to be fed, and baking, and marinating, and second guessing on an appetizer that I served at a BBQ. Olives warmed in a honey and sherry vinegar reduction. I bought this crazy huge jar of honey at the market a few weeks back. It was an impulse buy.  Well that's not entirely true, it was more pressure, hard sell, and lack of language skills that lead me to trade money for a giant jar of honey. Honestly though I am not a honey person and it could take me the better part of a year to get through all this honey. This recipe though called for 2 cups of the stuff, WOO HOO!

I cooked the olives, tasted them, got scared. Let them sit a bit, tasted them again. Not so scared but now concerned. Was this a recipe that I made because of the beautiful pictures, and intriguing ingredient list that in reality would just be weird?


Nah, it was good, addictively so. Salty, sweet, sour, sticky goodness. I'm all set if my intentions this week head South.

Warm Olives with Honey Gastrique
adapted from Tyler Florence Family Meal
3 cups Sherry vinegar
2 cups honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 large fresh sprig of rosemary
Grated zest of one orange
Grated zest of one lemon
5 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
1 pound of mixed olives, unpitted

In a large shallow skillet combine the vinegar, honey, and olive oil. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat. Add the bay leaves, rosemary, orange and lemon zest, garlic and olives.
Simmer uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until the liquid has reduced to a thick syrupy consistency.
Serve the olives warm.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love olives, this looks quite tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were tasty, I was very nervous about them but they really turned out well.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS