Blah

I have a small case of the blahs.
I hope you understand, there's nothing to worry about.
Nothing is terribly wrong.
I'm just...blah.

So to snap out of it I've been trying a few things. New music for starters, Jack Johnson Best of Kokua Festival  will lift the grumpiest of spirits. Try it! And for some reason, I have been listening to a bit of KC and the Sunshine Band and the Bee Gees. My daughters are more than a little horrified by that last confession. Last week while humming away to Boogie Shoes I looked up to find my youngest standing at the kitchen door with her mouth agape.  She then uttered, "Good God" and called for her sister. I'm sensing an itunes intervention soon.

But the sun is out, God is good, and we'll be home in 42 days. That last part is probably the source of my "Meh" state. But 42 days is not long at all! Gee things are looking up already.

These flowers hanging over the edge of our fence do a lot to cheer up our mornings.

If you have been reading this blog you know that on Saturdays my friend Lauren and I head to our local market to pick up the weeks fruit and vegetables. Everything is locally grown in Tunisia, very little of our food supply is imported. It has been a great joy to cook with the seasons, celebrate what is in season and anticipate what is to come. The market stalls are really a beautiful sight, and ever inspiring. Just this week the giant bunches of mint were begging to be made into a mint chutney or the occasional afternoon mint julep. Stone fruits are starting to make an appearance, the tomatoes are gorgeous and bursting, and there were even a few punnets of raspberries.

My weeks haul. The scent of the melon perfumes my kitchen. It's intoxicating.

After seeing what was available at the market, I had a craving for a big garden salad with crispy homemade croutons and a Ranch style salad dressing. Now Ranch dressing isn't something that we can buy here so when the cravings hit, it's good to have a greens grocer that has a steady supply of fresh herbs. Chives, flat leaf parsley, and dill, added to a little creme fraiche and a few other ingredients and I'm well on my way to chasing away the blahs.

Now, if you'll excuse me, KC and I have a date in the kitchen.


Creme Fraiche and Green Herb Dressing

1/2 cup of creme fraiche or sour cream
1/2 cup of mayonaise
1 large garlic clove minced
4 tablespoons of minced chives
4 tablespoons of minced flat leaf parsley
4 tablespoons of minced dill
Juice of half a lemon
milk
sea salt and black pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the milk and salt and pepper. Use the milk to thin the dressing to the consistency you like and then season with salt and pepper. Add more herbs, garlic, whatever you like to make this yours.
It's great with baked potatoes, on top of salads, and as a dip for chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS