Cookie Exchange

I have a childhood friend who is THE Hostess with the Mostest.

Seriously.

She hosts these ridiculously cute Valentines dinners, and sweet Christmas brunches. I always wished that I could go. In the past I've wistfully looked at the pictures posted on Facebook and longed to join in the merriment. But this year since I live in the same time zone I got to go!

Sweet friend hosted a housewarming (she has new digs) and Christmas Cookie Exchange.
I knew immediately which cookie I would make. It's one of my favorites. It is filled to the brim with one of my favorite ingredients.....Not chocolate.

No. Not Red Vines either.


Ginger!

I love that peppery bite. I like to nibble on crystallized ginger. I am probably the only person who buys the ginger flavored Altoids.

Triple Ginger Cookies. Cookies with fresh, ground, and crystallized ginger. Yum. Why three kinds of ginger? Well, there is the go big or go home factor. But, really the three forms bring different tastes to the cookie. Fresh has a bright citrusy notes and then that zesty peppery kick that sneaks up on you. Ground is the most pungent and carries the biggest hit of flavor. Crystallized is like chewy, sticky bits of ginger candy. You don't really notice them in a baked good unless you bite into a piece and then you get a pop of spice and a little heat.


These cookies are really nice the first day once they cool. They have that distinctive spiciness of ginger, a little pepper on the finish, and just a little heat. The next day they really mellow, and the crispy edges give way to chewy middles.

They are addictive and a little different than the usual Molasses Spice Cookie found this time of year.

Triple Ginger Cookies
straight up from Epicurious

Two things I changed about this cookie: I rolled them in coarse sugar to add a little more crunch to the edges and I used all dark brown sugar. Other than that I left them as is.

Makes 3 dozen cookies

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup minced crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg room temperature
1/4 cup light (mild flavored) molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated, fresh, peeled ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup coarse ground sugar such as Sugar in the Raw for rolling

Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, crystallized ginger, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Place the butter in a medium size mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until it is light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Add the brown sugar and beat another 3 minutes or until the mixture is lighter in color and very fluffy.
Add the egg, molasses, fresh and ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves.Beat well to combine.
Add the flour mixture and mix well on low speed to combine.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Place the 1/2 cup of coarse sugar into a bowl. Take approximately 1 tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball between your hands. Roll the dough in the sugar and then place on the prepared baking sheet. Space the cookies 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart.
Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the tops crackle, the edges are firm, and the center is soft.
Cool completely.





No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS